The Mole Song: Mogura No Uta

My daughter Mira introduced me to this song. It's the walk up song for Junichi Tazawa, a relief pitcher for the Red Sox. It's Japanese Reggae, and pretty cool. It sounds cool, but what is he saying?


I found a link to the Japanese lyrics, on a page titled "Reggae Lyrics and YouTube Brog." OK, so it's a brog.

The spirit of the song is clear. The lyrics on the page are in Japanese, but includes English words: "born and grow" and "never never die." So that's a hint and consistent with the spirit of the song. But I could not find an English translation.

I tried Google translate. It did a poor job.

To see why, take a look at one of the stanzas, in Japanese:

この先もいろいろあんだろう
それならその度にがんばろう
転けそうになっても踏ん張ろう
そうやって俺は強くなろう
何か残すため Born&Grow
決めたら最後までやり遂げよう

泣いても笑っても人生は一度きり

Japanese has several systems of writing. Pictographs, like: 転 called Kanji, and alphabetic characters like け, called Kana. There are no spaces between the characters, so Google translate guesses. If it guesses right the translation make sense in context. If it guesses wrong the translation makes no sense. For example, the second line:

それならその度にがんばろう
is translated:
Well let's do our best each time. That kind of matches the spirit of the song.

But the first line,
この先もいろいろあんだろう
get translated as: "Anne would variously ahead"

Huh? How did Anne get into this?

If I force the words to be split this way:
この先も
いろいろあ
んだろう

Then the word that was translated as "Anne" now is translated as "I wonder," and the three phrases are:
Also ahead 
Oh various 
I wonder 

So maybe the first two lines mean something like:

No matter what kinds of things are ahead, we'll do our best each time.

I hope someone who likes this song and can translate it reads this. I'd really like to know what it says. 

Until then, I'll just have to listen to it and love it.


Comments

  1. I love the song too. I think we might be the only ones. But it's one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts