I Love Lupine

Lupinus sericatus Cobb Mountain Lupine
Lupinus sericatus Cobb Mountain Lupine (Photo credit: davidhofmann08)
...and because I love lupine  I started collecting seed from the bed in front of the local post office.

Yesterday a friendly Blue Hiller saw me harvesting and told me that I needed to freeze the seed so that it would germinate properly. That called for a trip to the Internet, where I learned:

1. It is best to freeze the seed, though some say it is not necessary.
2. Some sites recommended that I scarify the seed (scratch through the outside coat) before planting.
3. I can buy Lupine seed by the pound, not just by the packet. One packet = $2+/-/ One pound = $25+/-
4. I can get other wild flower seed by the pound as well.
Lupin Lupinus Nederlands: Lupine (Lupinus) Fra...
Lupin Lupinus Nederlands: Lupine (Lupinus) Français : Lupin (Lupinus) Deutsch: Lupine (Lupinus) Español: Lupín (Lupinus) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
5. There are lots of other wildflowers easily grown from seed.
Next year: project wildflower?
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts