Creating a kernel

I'm attempting to set up Linux 64-bit on my new Lenovo computer. Because I'd like to run the new Unity interface, I need to use Nvidia's drivers. But Nvidia does not have them packaged for the kernel I am using.

Sooo...I had to build a new kernel.  The procedure for it was here, and worked pretty well. I had one problem: an error message told me that it could not find a particular path. From looking at the path I concluded that a symbolic link was used in the build script and was not set on my system. So I set it, and that was that.

There is a mystery: the kernel I built was a few minor revs back of the one that I had originally had in place. And finally when I tried to run the Nvidia installer, which will again rebuild the kernel if necessary, it could not identify my kernel and might have been looking in the wrong place.

I probably need some advanced Sysadmin help from Kon.


Comments

Popular Posts