Editing Video on Ubuntu

PiTiVi, the video editing program that comes with Ubuntu sucks. I mean it sucks. It crashes. It locks up. It even locks up my entire machine. And moving from place to place in a large video (kind of what you want an editor for) takes forever.

An it sucks.

Finally I got smart and looked for alternatives. This post gave me a bunch of options. I've only looked at one, but it is so much better than PiTiVi, and is also free,  I wonder why Ubuntu distributes the crappy PiTiVi which, I may have said, sucks.

The one I've installed and which had more than enough power for me was kdenlive. Installing it is a snap:
   sudo apt-get install kdenlive

Running it isn't too hard:
   kdenlive&

My big problem was a video that was flawed in some way. When run from the Video menu all was fine. But when run in PiTiVi a big swatch of the video was missing. In kdenlive the swatch was missing, but I used a utility that they provided to batch-rerender it in a different format and finally, FINALLY!!! I could edit it. But carefully.

When I rendered it though the sound didn't match the video. It was off by about 1/2 second. But kdenlive solved that. I was able to unhook the audio from the video, ungroup the two and after a few experiments figured how to sync things up. Just look for a place where there's speech after a silence. Move the head to where the talking starts in the video. Then move the audio (which displays the waveform) so that the burst of noise is also at the head. Easy peasy.

Cinelerra looks like it is very cool, but the install was non-trivial and I was in the mood for trivial.

References:
   Cinelerra:  http://www.heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php
   KDenlive: http://kdenlive.org/


Comments

Popular Posts