Getting organized with calendar

"This time I'm serious," I say to myself. "This time I'm going to get organized."

I say that to myself from time to time. Sometimes it works. and sometimes not.

My latest attempt is a three-pronged effort. On the one hand there's my alter-ego, described here. On the other, there's my attempt to use Google's calendar, which is what this post is about. Then there's my use of Google's task list, described here.

Let's talk calendar. The first thing I should have done was to learn the keyboard shortcuts. The first thing that I did was to create a few calendars besides the default. One is my MW Planned calendar. The other my Actual.

My idea was to create events in the planned calendar, then show what actually happened. The problem is that whenever I create something it ends up in my default calendar, unless I take pains to keep it from doing that.

Really, it's not that painful. I need to simply deactivate all the calendars above the one that I am working on. Then the 'c' key will create an event in that one. So far so good.  Ctrl-S will save the event and close the dialog.

Unfortunately 'q' for 'Quick Add,' which parses an input string intelligently, always creates an event on the default calendar, which is not where I want it. So I have a choice: I can use 'q' followed by Ctrl-ENTER and then change the calendar or 'c' and fill in the other details.

Learning the shortcuts takes a little time, especially  because it's an incomplete set. For example, '/' will take you to the search box, but there does not seem to be a way to get back, unless there's a Chrome shortcut that will get me there. Which there does not seem to be.

I also found these tips for using Google Calendar, and these. I've scanned them both, but haven't tried to mine either.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts