Blender animation techniques

I've gotten interested in animation, and have been poking around at Blender and thinking about creating some kind of a cool animated video for my grandkids.  I've got in mind something that combines real video with animated characters, something that I've found that blender can do.

Among other things, it can take a video that you've captured with your camera or cell phone, while you are moving (or just shaking), and then figure out the camera track in a virtual world that would have made that scene. Then you can place animated characters in the scene, and you can render the two together: your video, with the characters in place. So if, in your video, you walked around the point where your character goes, it will render the character from the camera perspective.

It's a very comprehensive (meaning confusing) environment, and to learn it I've been  reading the Blender Noob To Pro tutorials and watching YouTube video tutorials.

The cool thing about the video tutorials is that you see little things that the experts do that makes their workflow that much faster.

Today I found a guy who REALLY know his blender stuff, and knows how to translate his knowledge of the fine details of blender into something comprehensible.

The video that took me over the edge and inspired this post is this one. Here he shows how to use a tool he's built to calibrate a camera so that creating a model from a photograph is a dead snap. I mean, it is incredible. I watched another video of a guy taking about an hour to painfully figure out dimensions from a photograph to model the facade of a building. With his tool it's all automagic.


The link will give you a playlist of his stuff.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular Posts