Tplugin–a better pathogen

Pathogen lets me organize my plugins so that I can update them from repositories, quite easily. But there’s apparently an even better way! TPlugin blends pathogen with another plugin called AsNeeded.

AsNeeded and TPlugin load plugins as they are needed, so that the growing list of plugins that I have do not have to be all loaded up when VIM started. They get loaded up when they are needed. How do you know? Well, if you try to do something and the plugin has not yet been loaded it gets loaded.

Without looking at the code I assume this: that TPlugin and AsNeeded scan the plugins (once, when requested) then define a bunch of stubs that force the plugin to be loaded and then call the right entry point.

That’s just a guess. And I’ll know better after I install tplugin which is not going to be now because I’ve exceeded by budget (budget?) for hacking VIM this week. I’ve got a backlog of undigested plugins. I’ll get there soon enough.

Comments

Popular Posts